Tuesday, September 25, 2007

...and Manners

Since I am getting married in a few short weeks, I have, recently, been reading a lot about etiquette. While I do understand that is my (our) day, my (our) party and my (our) money and ulitmately, has to be my (our) decision, I do not want people leaving and saying, "Didn't that girl have any upbringing?" Come on, my mother will be there and the last thing I want is for her to be embarrassed. She did a good job; it is just possible that I wasn't paying attention. :-) Plus, weddings tend to bring out questions that you have never asked before and (hopefully) will never ask again.

When are the invitations mailed? 6 wks to 2 months before the wedding date
When is the cake cut? Whenever you feel like it
Can a 40 year old divorcee' wear white? Damn skippy
We don't have a lot of money, is it ok to have a cash bar? Hell, no. But, you don't HAVE to serve alcohol either. Just beer and wine or just punch is your business.

So, to skip the rest of the BS and get to the point (were you doubting I had one?), we would NEVER invite anyone, wait for him/her to arrive and the speak rudely to him/her or about him/her. Really, isn't that even MORE tacky than a cash bar? And isn't that exactly what happened yesterday at Colombia University?

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was INVITED to speak at Colombia. University president, Lee Bollinger, then
took Iran's president to task Monday, bluntly criticizing his record and saying
he exhibits "all the signs of a petty and cruel dictator."

Maybe Ahmadinejad IS a cruel dictator. Maybe he denies the existence of the Holocaust. Maybe he is a just a complete and total jerk. But I am not going to invite him to my wedding and he should not have been invited to speak at Colombia University if he was not welcome to be there.
After the session, Bollinger said Ahmadinejad left without properly answering
many of the questions that were posed to him.
Wouldn't you?

No comments: