Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My Doggy Weekend

Saturday morning a little after 10, I received a text message from a friend. She wanted to meet at the doggy park. She had her dog, Bailey, and was dogsitting a friend's dog during the day and didn't want the 2 of them destroying her house. She wanted Lola to tire them out.
Well, DSD was in the shower and we were scheduled to go buy groceries, so I told her I would meet her after we were finished. She took Bailey and Max to the park for a bit; DSD and I went shopping. When we were finished, I texted her and told her that Lola and I could meet her there at 1:30.
They arrived just before us and Lola was so happy to make new friends. One of her best features is her absolute love of everyone and everything. But Bailey and Max were already a little tired, so they weren't giving her the exercise she needed. They were all just rolling in the dirt.
Then an 8 month old Great Dane showed up. I wish I had pictures. This dog had to be over 100 pounds and just ran around the enclosure like he had not had the freedom to run in years. And there was my Lola, right behind him the entire time. She couldn't keep up with him, of course, his legs were longer than her entire body. But she tried. I wish I had words to explain the picture they made together.
Then a 5 month old Boxer puppy arrived about the time the Great Dane left. And they played and ran and played. We were out there for about an hour and a half. The temperature started dropping, though, and, while Lola was fine, I started getting cold.

My friend and her fiance' dropped off Max and then brought Bailey over to the house. They were out of town for the holidays and had left his motorcycle parked at our house to ensure its safety.
Lola and Bailey played for another hour or so. Everyone left and Lola passed out. She got up to eat and she went outside to the bathroom, otherwise she didn't MOVE. She even put herself in her crate for bed by 11. :-) The baby was wore out!

On Sunday I ran out to the bookstore, because I had nothing in my house to read. (My husband snorts when I say this aloud.) I picked up several drama, thriller, probably a little sex in them novels and was just wandering around the store when I spotted "Marley and Me." I grabbed it and quickly left, before I grabbed anything else (I am dangerous in a bookstore).
I started reading it after lunch and finished at at 2AM Monday morning! I laughed, I cried, I kept making DSD listen to different parts of the book, because Marley and Lola could have been separated at birth. What an amazing book, especially for a dog lover, but, truthfully, for anyone who has ever been part of a family. This book isn't just about Marley, but about the family that grows up around him. I would recommend it to anyone, although my son won't read it; he's still mad at me for "Where the Red Fern Grows." It's been almost 8 years since he read it.
It was a great doggy weekend. It's been a great week overall (stupid stuff at work not worth mentioning). And I am ready for this weekend to start.
Here are some more recent pictures of Lola. Hasn't she gotten big?

My fuzzy little baby.

Isn't she the cutest thing ever?

That was taken after we finally broke down and took her to the groomers. BabyBoy was annoyed! Can you see how her solid black legs are turning silver?

She doesn't even look like the same dog. :-)

It's only been a couple of weeks, but she's starting to look shaggy again. I like her better that way, so we aren't going to do the grooming much.

I would post more pictures, but she's worse than a kid. When I pull out the camera she sits up pretty and I can't get any pictures except for the ones of her just sitting there.

Have a great weekend.

No comments: