Monday, July 2, 2007

The Little Darlings

Recently over on BogsBlog, Pete had a very thoughtful post on this nation's children and the fact that the government seems to be removing their rights to free speech, and even to free thought.

I agree with him. Our children need to be raised to question the adults and authority figures in their lives, because it is their responsibility to continue doing just that as they become adults and look to their state and national governments. However, I think they should be able to do this using respect, and intelligence, and thoughtfulness, not snotty tones and foul language. Temper tantrums, cursing, eye rolls and belligerence are not going to help your cause, I don't care how old you are.

I found this story over on MSNBC about how children are portrayed in TV commercials as super snotty brats who speak to their parents (and others) in totally inappropropriate ways. Now, before you jump all over me, I know children speak in that manner, I could tell you about the rude tone of voice used by my son to me just day before yesterday. I could also tell you that he will not be using it again on me.. until tomorrow. (Working 14 hour days yesterday and today). Sometimes I manage to act like an adult and explain to him that I do not appreciate his tone of voice, sometimes I use a tone that is worse back at him, but this is in the privacy of my home. We are not a TV family. *

The TV ad that makes me want to throw the little jerk in TimeOut is a mini-van commercial. I could not even tell you for which complany. The dad has been working on a Tree House for the boys for several weekends and it is finished. The dad is excited, but the little brat says "Does it have leather seats? Does it have a DVD player?" and then to the other little kid "Do you have any fours?"

Why the hell do these little monsters have keys to the mini-van? The DVD player does not work unless the vehicle is running, at least in auxillary mode. And it is summer, they aren't even sweating!

I would yank those keys without a thought and then sell the famous tree house on Ebay. Or donate it to an underprivileged section of the city. Or set it on fire!

And I wonder why my son uses that snotty tone on me!

*I am not saying that TV families have to be like Leave it to Beaver, or The Brady Bunch, but I have the option of turning off the shows with bratty children, I really should not have to change channels to get away from the commercials. Hey, my son didn't want The Simpsons until he was 15!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen the commercial you speak of... do these kids plan on stealing the minivan some night when the folks are asleep? I'm sure there's a DVD player (or two) in their home, no???

the commercial for texting, where the girl speaks to her mother only in text message language ("OMG, TSNF!") is funny, but she's an obnixous little brat, too...

sparringK9 said...

we talk about the insanity of this ad all the time at our house. what a BRAT! and they are selling cars with this spokespunk?

"does it have leather seats?"

how about i put some real skinny leather on YOUR seat!

LeftLeaningLady said...

Pete, she is an obnoxious little brat, although I do use "my bff Jill" a lot now because it tickles me.

she, thank you, I wanted to say that, but it wasn't PC.

I would just take the keys and leave them in the van to sweat!

Anonymous said...

LLL - it is somewhat funny... I envision a TV spoof of that with adults saying "WTF?" and "BFD!"

LeftLeaningLady said...

That would work, Pete. Maybe I will get my son to work on it for the next Super Bowl. I wonder if he can use that for a Dorito's commercial?