Thursday, July 12, 2007

Of Course They Were Important, Of Course They Mattered, BUT

They are dead. All of them. Every single one of the group of gentlemen whom we refer to as "The Founding Fathers" is dead. And this (in case you were wondering) is not a recent thing.

Look, I appreciate what these men did. I love America and I love being American and I am grateful to those men for the Declaration of Independance, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. But I don't care what they would have wanted for today. And they would not care about my opinion, not then and not now.

Honestly, I am sick and tired of hearing about what the Founding Fathers would have wanted. Did they want you to have a gun? Well, sure, a musket, because that is all the fire power they had in the 1700s. Did they have a Christian faith? Maybe, but they also stated in the Bill of Rights " that Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; ". So don't tell me how to worship or when to worship or who to worship. Did they want this country to be a democracy? Somewhat, but run only by white, land-owning men over the age of 25.

The part that absolutely amazes me is when women tell me that this country should do something (whatever) because it is what the Founding Fathers would have wanted. I just stare open mouthed. Because the Founding Fathers didn't think too highly about women. We were chattel, property, slaves. (Some were better treated than slaves, but some were not). We weren't allowed to vote, own property or speak our minds. So, women, when you want to tell me why I should believe, vote, feel a specific way because it is what the Founding Fathers would have wanted, keep in mind, I don't have to listen to you. And they certainly would not have.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Amen, sister!

I think our Founding Fathers did a pretty good job--for the most part. BUT, this continued insistence by some to hearken back to what the Founding Fathers wanted is a way out of having to (a) think for ourselves, (b) admit that some of their ideas (slavery, for instance) weren't the greatest, and (c) actually do the work of making an informed, conscientious decision.

Anonymous said...

I think we ought to follow the Second Amendment as the Founding Fathers intended - all citizens can carry an 18th century musket if they like...

LeftLeaningLady said...

Thank you shel. I am glad that I am not the only person who feels this way. It amazes me that a lot of women seem to believe that if we were to go back to the 1700s we would still be where we are today. I have never enjoyed the idea of being chattel, but to each his own!

Pete, would I be able to load a musket without a breaking a nail? LOL