Thursday, January 3, 2008

Happy New Year!

Yes, I know, I am a couple of days late.

Sadly, my New Year didn't start out as wonderful as I had hoped. My son has been looking for a job since 1 Nov when the company he was working for declared bankruptcy and shut down. He was promised a job before Christmas, but we told it wasn't going to happen on New Year's Eve. He was bummed and grouchy.

DSD and I had a fight at lunch on New Year's Eve. We had had dinner plans (and reservations) for New Year's Eve with another couple who backed out at the last minute and he thought it would be boring for just the 2 of us. Yes, he said that and my feelings were hurt, so I got mad. We kissed and made up (according to him that wasn't what he meant, but it was what he SAID, so how was I supposed to take it?), but I wasn't going out to dinner with him then.

Then, of course, on New Year's Day my beloved Gators forgot to play defense against Michigan and Coach Meyer kept trying to get Tim to play pitch and catch with Percy Harvin, forgetting that there were other players on the field. A sad, sickening loss.

So, I moped. I whined. I sulked. And, yes, I cursed.

Then I realized I was acting ridiculously. It was a game. Sure it was sad that we lost, but the schools still get paid by Capital One, the kids got to be on TV, heck, Michigan players, fans, and band got to spend New Year's in Orlando! And, we, as a nation, are at war. People are freezing to death and starving to death in this country. Children are abused. And I was obssessing over a football game?

So, I pulled my head out of my ass and got over it. I love Gator football, but a loss is not the end of the world; it doesn't even really have world wide conseqences.

I just hope I can remember that next season......
Which starts in 7 months, 3 weeks and 6 days!

But who's counting?

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Sorry your New Year's Eve was kind of a bummer (and the bowl game, too).

It's OK to be a little ridiculous--just as long as you realize it and snap out of it. If you didn't, I'd be worried.

LeftLeaningLady said...

Thanks, I think there are plenty who do worry about my football obssession, but it is only 4 months out of the year.