Monday, June 25, 2007

Where is all their STUFF?

My fiance' and I were invited to a lovely dinner party on Saturday. This is fairly unusual for us, normally the gatherings we attend are BYOB (and don't forget a plate of something) so to actually go to someone's house without a cooler in tow felt strange. There was a total of three couples, us, the couple providing dinner, and another. The other invited couple was our age, early 40's* but the couple who had issued the invitation is much older, almost 20 years. They are actually the same age as my parents, but very young at heart so we enjoy their company quite a bit.



Now he is actually a retired civil servant, pretty high up in the food chain. He has a nice retirement and he is enjoying it by playing a lot of golf. She has a part time job just to get out of the house and keep busy. Their house is amazing. Probably because their kids are grown, graduated from college, on their own. This is not a house that I can even begin to dream about for at least 10, possibly 20 years. I have a nice place, middle, middle class neighborhood, 3 BR 2 BA with a pool, but I do not have a formal living room or dining room or a chandelier in my bathroom.. either of them.

My confusion comes from the fact that I have piles of stuff.. everywhere. Bills that need to be paid, papers that need to be filed, but can't be because the filing cabinet is full, books, everywhere on every single possible surface, enormous piles of paperwork that needs to be shreded because I like to be the only one with my identity. Am I the only person with these huge piles? Am I the only person in the world with this problem? My house is clean, I scrub counters and I dust and my bathroom is cleaned regularly. Why can't I deal with the clutter?

I even peaked into their spare bedrooms, nothing. No crap piled on anything. How do people manage this?

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I would love to know how people manage to do this, too. One trick I've recently started using with all the piles: I sort things right away into one of three piles: keep, read then recycle/shred, and recycle/shred immediately. It seems to be helping.

Oh, and every once in a while (about every three months), I gather up the piles, sit down and sort through them. It might wind up being a full day's work, but it all gets done in the end.

Good luck conquering the clutter!

LeftLeaningLady said...

The Right Away thing is the part that gets to me. I have a tendecy to believe "Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow". But it makes my fiance' NUTS. :-)

My mom is coming on Sunday, I will get rid of the piles before she arrives. I will be shredding all day long!