Friday, March 9, 2007

TGIF

Is there anything better in the whole wide world than Friday afternoon? Well, yea. PAYDAY Friday is better. Payday Friday of a 3 day weekend. Payday Friday before the start of a fabulous vacation. But if those things are not available, I am happy with an ordinary Friday.

Since I live in the south, it is already actually spring here. Still chilly for us, but there is no way that I can whine about nights in the mid-fifties when it is still snowing in the northeast. You poor bastards. And the days are beeyootiful. Mid-70s. Life is good. Now, I am not ready to start shucking clothes to go out publicly on the beach (wind is still a bit chilly), nor am I willing to even think about getting in the pool. But I may decide to bravely wear shorts tomorrow to work in the yard. This is my second favorite season.

So, the weekend is upon us. I just want to kick back & relax, but there are bills to pay, a house to clean, grocery shopping and homework to do. I am only taking 2 classes, but they each meet twice a week. Sadly I am doing better in Calculus than in Spanish. What kind of nutjob am I? Or what kind of nutjobs does the school system comprise of? Of course, I do well in English, how many years of it have I had? But I think it is unrealistic to expect full grown adults to pick up a language in 2 semesters. I can say some things (were I lost in a Spanish speaking country, I could eat, drink & find the bathroom), but reading is almost impossible for me. I know that it is supposed to be easier to learn Spanish than English, but it wasn’t for me! I think if the state universities are going to require a foreign language for a 4 year degree (and Florida does, I don’t know about the other 49 states), they should start teaching it in 1st grade. Everyone knows that kids pick that stuff up quickly. We could raise an entire generation of bilingual or even possibly trilingual children. Isn’t it a lovely thought? Yea, so is raising an entire generation of literate children. Hey, maybe if the children were taught several languages, they would all at least be literate in one?

Sorry, this was not supposed to be a political entry.

So, my plans for this weekend are to get the bathroom clean, sweep & mop the floors, do my homework in both classes. Oh, yea and the grocery shopping. Frankly being at work is more relaxing. Of course, none of that will start this afternoon. This afternoon I shall stop off and my favorite neighborhood watering hole for a frosty beverage & then go home to my lovely Simmies in SimLand where I shall completely control their lives. Good times.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

no payday for me today, alas...

LeftLeaningLady said...

It wasn't payday for me either, a good reason to enjoy a cool refreshing beverage on the way home!