Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Rats and Brats and the End of Summer

On June 1, we were a happy, healthy family of 3. DSD, Lola and I had our routine down whether it included taking the baby girl for a walk or cooking dinner. Then my son moved back home. I have missed him and am glad he is there, but it changed things up a bit. Then DSD's ex moved to California leaving LittleMan with us until the middle of August. LittleMan AND Henry, a 5 year old, anti-social West Highland Terrier.


So our family of 3 became a family of 6 and I am not dealing well with it. I love LittleMan, but that does not mean that I LIKE him. He is incredibly socially awkward. He may actually be slightly mentally challenged he is just that awkward. DSD and I had a discussion yesterday afternoon, about Henry, with LittleMan standing between us and when DSD asked him a question LittleMan looked around like he was coming out of a trance. This was in the kitchen, so he wasn't watching TV.


On top of that, Henry is not well behaved at all. He is house broken, but he has NO doggy manners. He does not sit, he does not stay, he does not come, he.does.not.listen. And Lola thinks he is her brand new chew toy. She wants to squeak him. She will cease and desist once you get her attention, but she really is still a puppy. An 80 pound puppy. I spend a lot of time hearing, "Lola stop. Lola quit. Lola leave him alone." And it pisses me off.

And the ex 'forgot' to check whether Henry could fly out with LittleMan. And she 'forgot' to find out what paperwork would be required to let him on the plane. And, so far, she has 'forgotten' to make Henry reservations.

So DSD decided it would be swell for us to go visit his parents before the LittleMan leaves the state. They are six hours away. Frankly, it makes me want to kick something to think of my lost weekend. I actually love my in-laws, but they EXHAUST me. Did I mention that I was completely mentally exhausted already? And I am supposed to start back to school in 13 days?

Maybe I will run away instead.

5 comments:

two crows said...

so sorry the dog days are getting to you. if you want to run south, I have a peachy-keen guest room.

and now I've dated myself forever and ever. =)

D said...

What's that saying.. oh yeah, "Whatever Lola wants, Lola gets." My mom named one of her cats with the same name and has secretly regretted it ever since.

LeftLeaningLady said...

two crows, thank you for the invitation, it is very tempting. I will keep it in mind. Maybe I will drop the family off in Lake County and just keep driving? Sounds heavenly!

Of course the fight with my husband does not. He thought I said, "when you go to your parents" last night and was mortally offended. :-)

D, we didn't actually name Lola, she was already a Lola when we got her. She was young enough we could have changed it.... but she just is one. :-)

Carl (aka Sofarsogoo) said...

It's not all bad. Thoughts of a certain namesake friend in my neighborhood cause me to enjoy the idea of a Henry being chewed and tossed around by a Lola. :)

LeftLeaningLady said...

Nice one Carl! I am glad that my annoyances this summer are bringing joy to someone!