Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Stupid Stuff

I recently read this story, that I found via this blog, about an Ohio teacher who was fired because (are you ready for this?) he branded his students with a cross. The teacher and school board are being sued (good!). Now I don't care how you feel about the separation of church and state (and I am ALL for it), branding a student is absolutely 100% unacceptable.

Today I see this story

"Some residents consider him a courageous fighter for religious freedom."

What? What? What?

Am I the only one who is a little concerned about the insanity in that? Why does fighting for religious freedom mean harming others? Is that what Jesus, Allah or Buddha would do?

I have a quick message for anyone who believes in an after-life of any kind. Your Supreme Being does.not.like.it.when.you.hurt.people.to.prove.your.love. Only crazy people think harming children is A-ok.

******************************************************************

On a different note is this lovely tidbit of newsiness... do you think that is a word?

An AP-Yahoo News poll found that pet owners favor McCain over Obama 42 percent to 37 percent, with dog owners particularly in McCain's corner.

Who do you think they put in this poll? People who were the product of a sick form of brotherly - sisterly love?

I do not, at present, have an animal living in my house. That is the subject for many (loud!) discussions between DSD and myself. Eventually I will win, but I would like for him to be on board (at least a little) before I bring a new family member home. I am trying to be patient.

I know many people who have pets who would not pee on McCain if he were on fire. I know people without pets who are too stupid to vote for anyone else.

Where do they get this? And how do they call it news?

3 comments:

UncommonSense said...

Well, you know what they say.

One person's courageous fighter for religious freedom is another person's certifiable nutcase.

You don't gotta be Stephen Hawking to figure out which side that cross-burning weirdo comes down on.

Inchy said...

Religion.
If ever there was a word invented solely to describe man's inhumanity to fellow man, then that's it.

I'd just like to say to the zealots out there, if you believe in God/Allah/Buddha/Krishna/The Force, that's cool, but I don't live in Narnia, I live in a place called 'Reality'. Please keep your fantasy beliefs to yourself. I can't answer your internal dialogue, I can only refute it.

Anonymous said...

I read about some people speaking of this branding is religious freedom(!) don't we have freedom of religion? one person asked... yes, but not in public schools, and not when it involved burning kids... some people are just plain nuts!

alas, I am allergic to dogs, but I love them... see K9s post on military dogs...

PS: congrats on the $!

PSS: come be the first to read and comment on my new blog post!