Friday, February 1, 2008

My Support Goes to...

After talking to a couple of the women I work with yesterday, I realized I have no choice but to support Hillary now that John Edwards has dropped out the race. She will, of course, receive MORE support (possibly monetarily) if she has the good sense to ask John to be her running mate, but I am not holding my breath after last night's Hillary/Barack love fest.

While I was leaning toward Hillary anyway (and, yes, I have a lot of reservations), when one of the women I was speaking with (we'll call her Sandy, because that is her name) announced that she was leaving the country if Hillary was elected President, what choice did I have? Both of these women are incredibly right wing (and that is their choice), but they both have daughters who have given birth at the taxpayers expense (Sandy's daughter THREE times) and are still using Medicaid to keep their children healthy. This type of hypocrisy makes me want to puke. The other woman, Tammy, has three daughters and 2 of them have taxpayer paid for children and Tammy thinks that Mitt Romney is the man. (Sandy wants good old boy, Mike Huckabee!). I am dumbfounded (and slightly repulsed). These are not stupid women (ok, not TOO stupid) and yet they do not seem to understand that they are not real favorites of the Republican party. They are against socialized medicine and, yet, what the hell is Medicaid? They think this stupid war is fair and just, but I don't see their kids standing around with a right hand in the air to run off to Iraq! And girls can't be drafted if a draft is ever reinstated!

So I will be cheering Hillary on, hopefully all the way to the White House, and then I will lovingly offer to help Sandy pack. Do you think it would be rude if I asked if she was taking her daughter and grandchildren?

2 comments:

Bird said...

I caught a glimpse of the post before this -McCAIN? Oh my dear, I am not losing my mind, but are you losing yours? Hahaha!

I read your post on Clinton with interest, as I am in a quandry myself about this Tuesday. I was a John Edwards girl, but of course, all that' s changed.

I want Hilary because, despite the fact that she talks out of both sides of her mouth, she is a policy wonk - which I think is a good thing - she's smart, practical, and she won't betray women. And of course, she is a woman. She is not my first pick, but I would be proud to see her in office (and listen to my daughter's response to such a thing occurring).

I like Obama because he is real - he is charismatic, I like some of his plans (he is not all that different from Clinton), I like his rhetoric - he makes me believe again that we can serve our better angels.

I fear that NEITHER is electable. I fear no matter what, the Repubs will win and McCain will not make matters better for our country.

Sigh.

I will flip a coin on Tuesday.

But I really flew by to say - regarding playing the drinking game solo - you know the warning attached to the game - s play alone at your own peril. But I have played along and been none the worse for it.

It's really the only way I can get through any Bush talk.

LeftLeaningLady said...

You have my utmost admiration for being able to get through a Bush talk without shooting the TV. I can't watch him, I get too pissed off and that is if I am drinking. I wouldn't attempt it sober.

And, I hope you read the entire post about McCain and understand my reverse psychology reasoning.