Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Thanks for Nothin'

A story on NPR today made me think of one of my favorite childhood stories, "The Little Red Hen." I am not going to tell it here, so if you don't know the story, do a quick Google search on it. But according to the fine folks at All Things Considererd, Americans WANT new, safe, bridges and roads, but not if there is going to a $0.02 gas tax.  They want Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security. They want their children to have quality education.  But they don't want to PAY for it. And they don't want it cut!!

What do they want to cut? Foreign aid. All that money sent to Africa to help with A.I.D.S. education, and all that money that was sent to Haiti, and all the money sent to..... how much will that save us? It amounts to less than 1% of the total budget.

How about we make corporations pay their share? How about we tax all income, including capital gains taxes? How about we PAY our fair share?

I am game. Due to the tuition I pay for myself and BabyBoy, DSD and I are getting back a really stupid amount of money. Our total tax bill is probably less than $2,000. Sad. That's not going to go very far.

Why don't we start making our veterans pay into their own retirement? Why don't we make Congress?

Not I, said the duck. Not I, said the pig. Not I, said the cow. I guess I will do it all myself then, said the little red hen, and she did.

No comments: