Tuesday, May 5, 2009

I Don't Like What She Says

Or, frankly, what she believes in. But I do believe in the Bill of Rights, so I will respect her right to believe in it and say it.

That seems to be the difference between people like me, compassionate, caring, liberal and people who are not like me, hate filled, war mongering, conservatives. Liberals believe in the Bill of Rights and a person's right to their own thoughts, feelings, beliefs. Conservatives believe in telling people they should shut up and sit down or get out of the country.

Carrie Prejean has every right to the belief that homosexuals should not be allowed to marry. She also has the right to SAY that homosexuals should not be allowed to marry. That does not give her, or the state of California (or any other state) the right to not allow homosexuals to marry.

It also does not give something called "The Dirty" the right to bad mouth her about tastefully done modeling photographs or call her a whore.

Carrie Prejean is illinformed, due to her upbringing and her inability to allow a fresh thought in her head. But that is her right.

Just as it should be the right of couples over the age of 18 to pledge their undying, forever love to each other.

One day, maybe, the Bill of Rights will cover both.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She certainly has the right to express herself. Some people I know are now championing her as a spokesperson for family values, but the photos took some of the wind out of their sails. I have to admit I do find it delicious when consternative hypocrites are called out. This thing will die out soon enough, and we'll be on to the next pseudo-controversy.

Come see my UK trip pics!

Hope you're doing well.