Friday, March 20, 2009

There IS Good News in the World

With everything going so terribly wrong in this country, horrifying job and home loss, crippled banking industries, starving children, it is nice to occassionally see something uplifting.

Jorge Munoz, Columbian born, U.S. Citizen, bus driver, spends 365 days a year feeding the homeless with help from his mother and sister.

Munoz began his unorthodox meal program in the summer of 2004. Friends told him about large amounts of food being thrown away at their jobs. At first, he collected leftovers from local businesses and handed out brown bag lunches to underprivileged men three nights a week. Within a few months, Munoz and his mother were preparing 20 home-cooked meals daily.
Numbers gradually increased over the years to 35 per night, then 60. In recent months, that number has jumped to as many as 140 meals a night.


This man is truly a hero.

And even Wal-Mart, who has had questionable business practices since the death of founder, Sam Walton, is doing its part to help its employees.

Retail giant Wal-Mart will hand out its largest annual award -- $2 billion -- which includes bonuses to every part-time and full-time hourly employee. The average cash bonus for employees will be $667.

In my own life, I received a summons for jury duty yesterday. While most people I know dread these things, I am very excited about it. This is the 4th or 5th one I have received since I turned 18 and I have never even made it to the Courthouse, I always get a cancellation call the week before. I hope I make to the courthouse this time, but, even more, I hope I get picked for jury duty. To me this is one of the more exciting things we, as Americans, get to perform for our country. And I want a chance to do my duty.

2 comments:

Carl (aka Sofarsogoo) said...

Hi. I've served on juries twice, the first the regular kind and the second a grand jury, and I have a lot to say about it. But for now let's just say that while there's no question that it is an all-important civic duty, it's not a comfortable experience if a person has any doubts at all about how the legal system is operated.

For instance if you are under the impression that a person is presumed to be innocent until found guilty, you may find yourself standing completely alone in that belief.

I hope your experience will be happier.

Carl (aka Sofarsogoo) said...

See my answer on my site, that I made to the comment that you left there about this very interesting and possibly crucial matter, though I hope it won't be so, and I don't expect it to be.