Friday, October 12, 2007

With Liberty and Justice for All**** updated 10/13/2007

For all. For everyone. All of us.

Except for Martin Lee Anderson.

Seven former boot camp guards and a nurse were acquitted Friday of manslaughter
in the death of a 14-year-old boy who was hit and kicked by the drill
instructors in a videotaped altercation.
The all-white jury took about 90
minutes to decide whether the guards were responsible for the death of Martin
Lee Anderson, a black teen. The guards, who are white, black and Asian, stood
quietly as the judge read the verdicts.
Surveillance video shows the guards
striking the limp boy with their fists and knees in January 2006. The case
caused protests in the state capital and prompted Florida to close its juvenile
boot camp system.


I wish I had something positive to say, but I am devastated. This was a CHILD. I don't know how anyone who watched that videotape could not hold the guards responsible. Sadly, I am wondering why the guards and nurse were not also indicted on lesser charges. Criminal neglect? Assault and battery? Child abuse and or neglect? Did the DA know that the evidence would not stand up to a manslaughter charge? Was that the plan all along?

Martin's parents received a hefty check from the state. The guards/nurse don't go to jail. A lot of prominent people received a lot of attention. And poor Martin Lee Anderson is dead, with no justice.

Rest in Peace, Martin.

*****Update: According to NPR(and I have not double checked my facts) the Feds are looking into pressing charges against the nurse* and seven guards that did this. Was this a violation of Civil Rights? Watch the video before you answer. I think it was.

*I am in deep contempt for this nurse who watched a child beaten and then lied on the stand that he was conscious the entire time. There is no way in HELL I would allow this bitch to nurse anyone I cared about... or even anyone I hated!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I came to your site today because I expected you to post something on this... the article I read said the area is conservative/military with a lot of respect for law and order... I guess I was hoping for a different verdict regardless...

they should at least get some kind of punishment for this...

LeftLeaningLady said...

This was a beaten CHILD. You know that I am appalled about this. A respect for law and order? No! A community brainwashed and sheep herded. I know. I live in it.

I don't know if his parents knew about the sickle cell trait or not. And I don't necessarily agree with the pay out the State and county gave them, but, again, he was a CHILD, beaten on by 7 grown men and watched by 1 lousy LPN.

This does not speak well of the city, the county, or the state.