Friday, May 25, 2007

Three months and counting

Yes, I am counting down. I do it every year about this time. NFL draft completed? Check! NBA playoffs coming to an end? Check! Had more golf and NASCAR than a person should have to endure? Check! All-Star game right around the corner? Check! To a sane person, these signs probably don't mean a lot, but to a fanatic like me, it means that the GameDay crew is resting up for that all important Saturday of Labor Weekend... the College Football kickoff.



I don't sleep for a week before kickoff, honestly. And then I wake up at 8 on Saturday morning (one of the benefits of living in the Central Time Zone), shower, and put on my GameDay TShirt and my lucky underwear... Hey, don't laugh, what I do and wear may or may not have a direct impact on today's games... YOU don't know. Then at 9am, I turn on ESPN with Chris Fowler, Lee Corso and Kirk Herbstreit. Now, obviously, I prefer that the GameDay crew be on location at the University of Florida, live in front of the Swamp, but I know that they have to share the wealth.* I watch the entire 2 hours (thank you for the extra 30 minutes) with paper and a pen by my side so that on commercials I can write down each college football game on TV, the time it is being played and the channel it is on, allowing me to save precious seconds by not having to hunt for the games I want to watch. Psychotic? Sure, somewhat, but my man does appreciate my madness and it is only for a few short weeks. College football has the shortest season known to man or woman. And Div I A football is the only NCAA sport that does NOT have playoffs. But that is another post. **

Forget Memorial Day & the beginning of summer, let's get to Labor and the end of summer.. and the beginning of the best four months in the world!

*As reigning National Champions, will GameDay be from the Swamp on the opening day?

**Or it is a college term paper that I got an A+ on explaining WHY there should be playoffs. :-)

No comments: