Monday, May 19, 2008

What about MY vote?

This article starts by stating that counting the delegates in Florida and Michigan will not allow Ms. Clinton to attain the Democratic nomination for President.

I'm sad about that, but I can and will get over it, move on and support Mr. Obama.

What I can not, will not get over is the fact that my vote is not going to count in this nominating process. What I can not, will not get over is the fact that I, an American citizen, a GOOD American, if you will, am being punished because those around me (meaning Tallahassee) can not read, understand, follow the rules. It feels like 3rd grade again when Susie Smith was chewing gum and the entire class had to write, "I will not chew gum in school.*" I didn't do anything wrong, why am I being punished?

The part of the article that really, to put it delicately, chaps my ass is this one:

The Associated Press interviewed a third of the panel members and several other
Democrats involved in the negotiations and found widespread agreement that the
states must be punished for stepping out of line. If not, many members say,
other states will do the same thing in four years.


"THE STATES MUST BE PUNISHED FOR STEPPING OUT OF LINE."

Who is the DNC punishing? Florida? Michigan? Are they slapping them on the wrist? No, they are punishing ME by not counting my vote.

I know I have blogged on this before. I may again before the general election. I never heard from Howard Dean; he doesn't answer his email apparently.

I think I have run out of steam.

*Ok, that never reallyl happened.

6 comments:

fallenmonk said...

You Dems in Florida have a legitimate beef. Being from Georgia where my vote never counts I can sympathize. It will be interesting to see if Dean and company stick to their guns especially after it becomes known that when you count the popular vote include FL and MI Hillary is the winner. Could be fun and your vote may count after all.

Anonymous said...

I have a few things to say about this... first, it was a Republicant legislature that caused this to happen... why should the party allow Republicants to cause us to be punished? they ought to be looking out for us... ever since the decision was made to punish Florida I have hit back at the party... I sent in lots of money in 2004, but now I'm not giving them squat... I even use the return envelopes to tell them that, and WHY I will not give them money... give me back my vote... I am an Obama fan, but I would like him to consider the irony of an African American man helping to disenfranchise voters... the other party screwed us in '00, but I didn't expect this from Dems...

rant off...

LeftLeaningLady said...

Pete,

I actually wrote Gov Crist, and received a reply on this very thing. It wasn't directly from him, but the vote to decide WHEN the primary was to be held was almost unanimous. I tried to blame the Repubs, but they didn't do this to us. The state screwed us and the DNC is helping. This is a regular gang bang.


FM:
I just want my vote to count. It's about the only right we have left and they are taking it from a portion of the population. Who's next?

andante said...

There's plenty of blame to go around, not just the Rethugs or the DNC or either candidate. All the talk about 'The Math" and who's got what makes my already addled brain spin.

As a North Carolinian, I never felt until this year that my vote counted in I-can't-remember how long. It was vote for the anointed one or the darkest horse imaginable or no one at all. So, yeah - the current primary situation stinks. And no matter what solution is worked out there will be bad feelings all around.

Anonymous said...

fyi, The Bionic Woman has not been renewed for next season... only 8 episodes aired...

Carl (aka Sofarsogoo) said...

It will be very interesting to see what the DNC comes up with, this coming Saturday, the 31st. Whatever happens, I don't think you will really be able to say that your vote didn't count.

It's like growing a garden. The appearance of the garden is secondary. What matters most is that YOU grew it. So, you did your duty and VOTED, period.

We can be sure that everybody has noticed that you, along with an unusually large number of other Floridians, did vote in the Jan primaries, and that's going to be taken into account on the 31st, as well as in the final stages of the election. I think that will be shown, first, in whatever formula the DNC adopts, and I don't see how they can avoid adopting one.